Mary Kay Review
Name: Mary Kay
Founders: Mary Kay Ash and Son
Rating: (2 / 5)
What is Mary Kay About? | Brief Overview
Mary Kay Ash invested her first $5,000 into an establishment which was a 500 square foot, storefront in Dallas, Texas, back in 1963 and called it Beauty by Mary Kay. Today Mary Kay has blossomed into a giant in the MLM (multi-level marketing) industry, currently selling in over 35 countries around the world. It currently has over 3.5 million members, and makes over $4 billion in sales worldwide. Mary Kay Ash passed away in 2001, and now MK is ran by her son Richard Rogers. Mary Kay is in the cosmetics and skin care industries.
The Good & the Bad
PRO #1 – In a couple major industries and global markets.
PRO #2 – A lot of training available, seminar, and events.
PRO #3 – Get your own marketing website for $30 the first year
CON #1 – Direct selling and recruiting.
CON #2 – Costs too much too start.
CON #3 – When a company is this large it can become a bit impersonal. (no contact from the owners)
Who is Mary Kay For?
- For women who want to start their own business.
- Women already in the skincare or cosmetics industry and would like to expand on their network/providers.
- Young women who would like to start young and build an organization. Older women can do it too ;-).
- If you’re wanted to work with an mlm company that has been around for many years. It has a backbone. You can depend on it more than these newer ones such as Younique, Nerium International, Perfectly Posh, or Seacret Direct.
Mary Kay Tools, Training, & Support
These tools and training will be available to you:
- Dvds with sales tips
- You’ll receive your own Mary Kay personal website at 50 percent off the first year ($60 regular price).
- They have a myCustomers app to assist you on the go.
- A Mary Kay InTouch website which is exclusively for Independent Beauty Consultants.
- The Mary Kay Virtual Makeover App, eCatalogs, and social media tools.
- Mary Kay University for initial and ongoing education.
- Applause magazine and makeup application guides.
- Literature for your customers such as The Look catalog and product fliers.
- Your own business cards.
You will be able to get support from members in your upline (your team). There will also be team meetings and company sponsored events. Or you can always call their customer service number to get help.
How Much Does it Cost to Become a Mary Kay Beauty Consultant?
You will need to pay $100 plus tax and shipping for the Starter Kit. It comes in a stylish beauty bag with retail-sized products, samples to share, and brochures. You will get a 50% off discount for your personal website and 40% discount on branded business cards.
As Independent Beauty Consultant, you can return any products for 90% of what you paid for it within 12 months. The products must be unopened. You must know that though you can do this, those who return their merchandise to the company will not be eligible to rejoin Mary Kay.
Mary Kay Products
Mary Kay offers products in the following lines:
Skincare – They have collections for acne skincare systems, and Anti-aging products called TimeWise. They also have individual products such as moisturizers, facial cleansers, exfoliators, serums, and masks.
Makeup – full cosmetics line for your eyes such as eyeliner and mascara. For your lips such as lip gloss and lipstick. For your cheeks such as blush. Finally, for your face such as concealer, foundation, and powders. Plus they sell the tools.
Body and Sun – they have washes, creams, and lotions for concerns such as anti-aging, cellulite, cleansing, dryness, hand and foot care, and sun.
Fragrance – they offer several kinds of perfume and cologne for both men and women.
Men’s – they also sell men’s skincare and grooming products such as cleansers, body wash, facial wash, shaving cream, after-shave, and cologne.
Can You Make Money Selling Mary Kay? | The Compensation / Marketing Plan
Ranks, Commissions, and Bonuses
Independent Beauty Consultant
- Earn on product sales and reorders.
- To be an active member, you must order at least $225 bi-monthly.
- You qualify for a 50% discount on products if you purchase $450 or more in one order. The discount will be good for two months.
- You can become a Star Consultant if you reach over $1,800 in wholesale within one quarter.
Becoming “Qualified” Incentive – If you order more than $600 wholesale in products within your first month, you can qualify for free products.
Senior Beauty Consultant
- Must be active and with 1-2 active personal team members.
- You will earn from product sales and reorders plus team building commissions.
- Earn 4% personal team commission.
- If you have 2 active personal team members, you are eligible to order the red jacket.
For a team member to be active, they must accumulate at least $600 in wholesale sales within one quarter.
You can recruit your spouse as an Independent Beauty Consultant, but there are no financial gains allowed from him/her, they will be known as your personal team member.
Personal Team Commissions
- If you have 1-4 active personal team members, you can earn 4% commission on their wholesale orders.
- 5 or more active personal team members on your team you can earn 9% commission.
- Earn 13% commission if you place a $600 wholesale order in the month and at least 5 personal team members place a min. of $225 in wholesale orders.
Star Team Builder
- Earn by products sales and reorders, with team building commissions and bonuses.
- Earn 4% personal team commission.
- Received a $50 rebate on the purchase of a red jacket once you reach this level.
- Must be active with 3-4 active personal team members.
Team Building Bonus – after your 4th personal team member, earn $50 for every time someone gets promoted to Star Team Builder and above.
- Earn 9% or 13% on personal team commission.
- Must be active and have at least 5-7 active personal team members.
Future Sales Director
- Earn 9% or 13% on personal team commission.
- Must be active and have 8 or more active personal team members.
- Eligible for Grand Achiever Career Car or Cash compensation option.
Independant Sales Director-in-Qualification
Must have 10 or more active personal team members.
Must have two of the following:
- $18,000 in cumulative unit wholesale production
- $1,800 in personal wholesale production
- 24 active unit members
- 10 out of 24 unit members must have a min. $600 wholesale orders.
- $4000 min. wholesale unit production each month.
- Earn 4%, 9%, or 13% personal team commission.
- Earn $100 team building bonus for every “qualified” new personal team member. Remember, a “qualified” team member is one who exceeds $600 in wholesale volume within their first month.
- Earn 9% commission from monthly unit volume from $0 – $4,499.
- Earn 13% commission from monthly unit volume from $4,500 or more.
- Must maintain $4,500 in personal wholesale orders a month.
Sales Director Unit Volume Bonus – Starting at $5000, earn a $500 bonus. For every $1,000 your unit volume goes up, you will earn an additional $100. There is no limit on this. For example, if you made $50,000 in monthly unit wholesale volume, you would get a $5,000 bonus.
Sales Director Unit Development Bonus – Earn $300 for each month 3-4 “qualified” unit members are added to your unit. Or earn $500 for each month 5 or more “qualified” unit members are added to your unit.
Star Consultant Bonus – Gain 5-9 star consultants within the quarter and get a $300 bonus. Or gain 10-14 star Consultants and get a $400 bonus. Or gain 15 or more and get a $500 bonus.
Cadillac Bonus – Get a $1,000 bonus when you qualify for the Cadillac.
There are more bonuses in this rank, and you also become eligible to qualify for the Top Sales Director Trip. You also get the opportunity to personally recruit members within international markets. I’ve taken you as far up as the Sales Director compensation plan. Just know that you can achieve higher than this rank. The compensation also goes more in depth.
The higher ranks are:
Future Executive Senior
Elite Executive Senior Sales Director
Independent National Sales Director
Independent Senior National Sales Director
Independent Executive National Sales Director
Grand Achiever Career Car or Cash Compensation
- You need 5 or more active personal team members.
- Your target is to get a combined total of $5,000 or more monthly wholesale. You need $20,000 in net production wholesale to qualify, which you can reach over a period of 4 months.
- For every new “Qualified” personal team member you recruit, you’ll receive $600 car program credit toward the required $5,000 net production.
Anytime you make more than the required $5,000 net production amount for the Car program, the difference is placed in a Performance Account, up to $15,000 (rolls over month to month). Anytime you make less than the required amount, the company depletes the balance off of that account.
Co-op Lease Payment Schedule if you fall below the $5,000 requirement.
If you want the cash in lieu of the Career Car, you can get $300 a month. The cash payment will be less if you fall under the $5,000 requirement.
Sales Director Grand Achiever Program | Career Car or Cash Compensation
- Your target is at least $19,500 in wholesale production in one quarter. You need $39,000 (that’s double) to qualify for the car.
- You can also get the $600 car program credits I mentioned earlier here.
- You will also need to pay a co-op (portion of) lease payment if you fall below the requirement.
If you choose to take the cash instead, you can get $375 a month. The same rules apply here if you fall below the requirement.
Premier Club Program
- You need to target $27,000 in one quarter. Must get $54,000 within two consecutive quarters to qualify.
- $600 car program credits apply here as well.
If you fall below the quarterly requirements, you will need to pay a co-op lease payment as follows:
If you choose to take the cash in lieu of the car, the cash payment is $500/monthly. If you fall below the requirement though it will be less.
Pink Cadillac Program
The target is to make $48,000 net wholesale production in one calendar quarter. You need to have $96,000 (which is double) within two consecutive quarters to qualify.
If you want the cash in lieu of the car you will get $900 monthly. Unless you fall under the required quarterly wholesale production, then you will get less.
Is Mary Kay Worth it? | My Final Opinion
I don’t know if you want to call Mary Kay legendary or infamous, but the point is they will be around for another 50 years. They have established a solid foundation. All the other mlm companies who have come after Mary Kay, are just following in her footsteps. With that said, I still would not want to join an mlm company.
The facts are, I don’t want to be known as that Mary Kay person. Essentially, that’s what you become when you join an mlm, a hustler for the company. I don’t want to pay for overpriced products, nor do I want to sell them. I won’t even talk about recruiting.
I sought after a business opportunity that I can make money for me. I can sell what I want, and when I want to. I work in the comfort of my own computer, and no one bothers me. Well except my little ones, and the wife ;-). If you want to learn how you can build a business at home, check out my #1 recommendation.
Mary Kay at a Glance…
Name: Mary Kay
Founders: Mary Kay Ash and son
Rating: (2 / 5)
Do you have a personal experience with Mary Kay? If so, I would love to hear about your personal experience with their products/service.
Let me know in the comments below! 😀